Monday, 10 January 2011

Sidney Nolan's masterpiece - salt lake

I saw Salt Lake by Sidney Nolan at the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne and it is one of the most captivating paintings I have seen in recent time.

I sat in front of it mesmerised for a good half an hour at least, the feeling I had for the painting still stay with me.

The painting is made of 4 panels and show in an abstract way an atmosphere no man's land that is both epic and atmospheric.

It is painted predominately in different shades of browns, with touches of turquoise and glinting with silver white at places, none of the strokes and elements look particularly like anything but they weave together magically to create a other worldly apocalyptic scenery that have me totally captivated. You can let your mind wander with these paintings, the sweeping view somehow got me thinking about life, decay, and set me in a very reflective and contemplative mood. It is powerful and very moving.

I have encountered Sidney Nolan's work primarily through his Ned Kelly series and was delightfully surprised by this landscape painting.

It is simply a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment