Sunday, 12 December 2010

My favourite Australian Artist 3 - John Olsen





The thing about Olsen is - this man can really draw! He has a very distinctive drawing style and it is often full of life and vitality. His laughing frog is one of my favourite drawing - so alive, so full of joy and sense of mischief, his love of life clearly conveys through his may drawings and paintings. Again he can be rather abstract with his approach and I love the composition of his Australian landscape paintings - whilst Fred Williams could be quite subtle, Olsen is vibrant and unexpectedly obscure the perspective but at the same time can convey the sense of vastness better than a lot of landscape paintings I have seen. Perhaps one other Australian artist I could see that does that is Brett Whitely.

Images from Tim Olsen Gallery, Savill Gallery and Queensland Art Gallery web sites

No comments:

Post a Comment