Saturday, 11 December 2010

Australian inspirations

I am currently in Australia and am impressed with its vibrant art scene and its printmaking communities. I have been looking at some of the works and the ones that make the most lasting impressions have mostly always been those by the great contemporary aborigines artists.

I came across David Nixon in a print gallery in the PG Printmaker Gallery in Melbourne last year and I love what he does. I have included a sample of his work here - It is so simple, just white dots in various sizes and yet for me it is so beautiful.



Another two aborigine artists that I greatly admired are Dorothy Napangardi and Kathleen Petyarre. They do paintings rather than prints but that is irrelevant, the profound beauty of their work come through and touch me very deeply all the same. I love the fact that these artists work intuitively, and their paintings have such personal significance- they not only communicate how the artists relate to their world, these works also help to reinforce their identities and reveal the richness of their cultures. I love the unique and way they sought to represent these abstract and ideas, and also they sense of pride in their culture and their love for their land. I find tremendous and profound beauty in their work and will always be captivated by them



No comments:

Post a Comment